Catholic Church leaders in the Philippines said they are still in the process of assessing the impact of the 7.0-magnitude earthquake that killed at least three people and damaged several structures in the northern part of the country on Wednesday, July 27.
Bishop Jose Colin Bagaforo of Kidapawan, director of the National Secretariat for Social Action Justice and Peace, said he is expecting various social action centers across the country to submit reports later in the day.
The Apostolic Vicariate of Tabuk in Kalinga province called for prayers for those affected by the earthquake that hit the neighboring province of Abra and the Ilocos region.
“We are so far safe here in Tabuk. Only the traffic to Lubuagan and Bontoc is closed due to a landslide,” said Bishop Prudencio Andaya Jr. in an interview over church-run Radio Veritas 846.
“We are vigilant for some news in other places here in the Apostolic Vicariate of Tabuk,” added the prelate.
Father Apol Dulawan, social action director of Bontoc-Lagawe, reported that as of noontime, only three parishes have given updates.
He said some glass walls of the St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Mission in Lagawe were broken while the Saint Joseph Catholic Mission in Kiangan had some buildings damaged.
The Our Lady of Holy Rosary Catholic Mission, Kayan, Tadian has no major damage, said the priest.
Meanwhile, Archbishop Marlos Peralta of Nueva Segovia said they are still waiting for updates on what happened to the Vigan Cathedral.
Leave a Reply