HomeNewsCatholic religious leaders warn Filipinos against continuing surge of COVID-19 cases

Catholic religious leaders warn Filipinos against continuing surge of COVID-19 cases

“We have to take care of our health and we have to have concern not only of ourselves but also of others,” said Carmelite priest Christian Buenafe

Religious leaders in the Philippines warned the faithful of the continuing surge of COVID-19 cases in the country.

“We have to take care of our health and we have to have concern not only of ourselves but also of others,” said Carmelite priest Christian Buenafe, executive secretary of the Association of Major Religious Superiors in the Philippines.

The Philippines recorded 20,310 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, the second highest daily infections reported since the pandemic started last year.

The health department said the nationwide tally of COVID-19 infections in the country is now at 2,040,568 with 158,994 active cases, the highest since April 17 this year.

The total recoveries climbed to 1,847,701 after 7,710 more patients recovered from the illness, although 193 new fatalities were also reported, bringing the death toll to 33,873.

Father Buenafe said he would not be surprised that the number of COVID-19 cases will continue to go up in the coming days.

“It’s increasing, it’s not actually decreasing,” said the priest.

- Newsletter -

“Please take care of yourselves,” he said in an appeal he issued over Radio Veritas 846. “The virus is real and get vaccinated if given the opportunity,” added Father Buenafe.

He also warned the public of the proliferation of “fake news” about COVID-19. “Always go to the truth, go to the legitimate sources of information,” he said.

On Friday, the Health Care Ministry of the Diocese of Kalookan reminded residents to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because “it provides a big chance to survive.”

“If we believe that God is doing something during the pandemic, let us also believe that He has already given the solution that we have been praying for,” said Father Rene Richard Bernardo of the health ministry in the diocese.

The government announced on Friday that it has approved the use of Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine for adolescents aged 12 to 17 years old.

Since starting its vaccine drive on March 1, about 17.53% of the country’s population have received the first of two doses of COVID-19 vaccines, while 12.51% of the population have taken both jabs as of August 29, 2021.

© Copyright LiCAS.news. All rights reserved. Republication of this article without express permission from LiCAS.news is strictly prohibited. For republication rights, please contact us at: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Support LiCAS.news

We work tirelessly each day to tell the stories of those living on the fringe of society in Asia and how the Church in all its forms - be it lay, religious or priests - carries out its mission to support those in need, the neglected and the voiceless.
We need your help to continue our work each day. Make a difference and donate today.

Latest