The Archdiocese of Caceres launched on Sunday, May 22, a two-year preparation to mark the centenary of the pontifical coronation of the image of Our Lady of Peñafrancia.
The launching was highlighted with a Mass presided over by Archbishop Rolando Tria Tirona at the Minor Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Peñafrancia in Naga City.
Pope Benedict XV authorized the canonical coronation of the image on May 13, 1920, in response to the petition of Bishop John Bernard McGinley.
The crowning itself occurred four years later on Sept. 20, 1924, led by the Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Guglielmo Piani, at the Naga Cathedral grounds.
With Bishop McGinley already assigned in California at that time, the celebration was spearheaded by the diocesan administrator, Fr. Francisco Reyes, who would later become bishop of Caceres.
The event also took place as the archdiocese marks the 40th anniversary of the blessing and dedication of the Church of Our Lady of Peñafrancia.
Earlier in the day, the milestone was marked with a liturgical celebration led by Bishop Jose Rojas of Libmanan.
In 1985, the church was granted the privileges of minor basilica and later on as a national shrine.
Leave a Reply