HomeNewsPope Benedict XVI asks for forgiveness over sex abuse by clergy in...

Pope Benedict XVI asks for forgiveness over sex abuse by clergy in Germany

In a letter, the 94-year-old former pope said that his pain was all the greater as he had “borne great responsibility in the Catholic Church”

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI asked for forgiveness from victims of sex abuse allegedly committed by members of the clergy in Munich, Germany, where the pontiff was archbishop from 1977 to 1982.

In a letter responding to a report that faulted his handling of cases during his tenure head of the Munich Church, the 94-year-old former pope said that his pain was all the greater as he had “borne great responsibility in the Catholic Church.”

The letter was accompanied by a three-page rebuttal of the criticisms contained in the Munich abuse report, published last month, signed by four advisers of the pope emeritus.



They insisted that he was not “aware of sexual abuse committed or suspicion of sexual abuse committed by priests” in any of the cases mentioned in the report.

“I can only express to all the victims of sexual abuse my profound shame, my deep sorrow and my heartfelt request for forgiveness,” the 94-year-old said in a letter released by the Vatican on February 8.

“I have had great responsibilities in the Catholic Church. All the greater is my pain for the abuses and the errors that occurred in those different places during the time of my mandate,” he wrote.

Organizations representing abuse victims criticized the lack of specifics in the pope’s comments, said an AFP report. 

- Newsletter -

German group Eckiger Tisch said the pope emeritus continued a Catholic Church tradition of declaring that “there were acts and faults, but no one takes concrete responsibility.”

Last month’s German investigation accused the former pope of knowingly failing to stop four priests accused of child sex abuse when he was archbishop of Munich.

The pope emeritus, who is in frail health, asked a team of aides to help him respond to the lengthy findings by law firm Westpfahl Spilker Wastl (WSW), charged by the archdiocese of Munich and Freising to examine abuse between 1945 and 2019.

The aides insisted in an accompanying statement that “as an archbishop, Cardinal Ratzinger was not involved in any cover-up of acts of abuse,” using the pope’s birth name, Joseph Ratzinger.

Not aware

In one case, a now notorious pedophile priest named Peter Hullermann was transferred to Munich from Essen in western Germany where he had been accused of abusing an 11-year-old boy.

Pope Benedict’s team has already admitted to unintentionally giving incorrect information to the report authors when they denied his attendance at a meeting about Hullermann in 1980.

But they denied any decision had been taken at that meeting about reassigning the priest to pastoral duties, and on Tuesday said the abuse had not been discussed.

“In none of the cases analyzed by the expert report was Joseph Ratzinger aware of sexual abuse committed or suspicion of sexual abuse committed by priests. The expert report provides no evidence to the contrary,” the statement said.

In his letter, Pope Benedict expressed hurt that the “oversight” over his attendance at the 1980 meeting “was used to cast doubt on my truthfulness, and even to label me a liar.”

Pope Benedict, who lives in a former monastery within the Vatican walls, said he was grateful “for the confidence, support and prayer that Pope Francis personally expressed to me.”

Pope Francis has said nothing in public although the Vatican defended Pope Benedict last month, noting his meetings with abuse victims and introduction of laws to combat pedophilia.

Pope emeritus Benedict XVI gestures at the Munich Airport before his departure to Rome, June 22. (Photo by Sven Hoppe/Reuters)

Fear and trembling

Before becoming pope, Benedict led the Vatican’s doctrinal congregation, giving him ultimate responsibility to investigate abuse cases.

In his letter, he spoke of “confession”, saying that every day, he asked himself whether he was guilty of “a most grievous fault,” using the phrase said during Mass.

“In all my meetings… with victims of sexual abuse by priests, I have seen at first hand the effects of a most grievous fault,” he wrote.

“I have come to understand that we ourselves are drawn into this grievous fault whenever we neglect it or fail to confront it with the necessary decisiveness and responsibility, as too often happened and continues to happen.”

But his comments fell short of what the SNAP survivors network said was required.

“The opportunity for cleansing (that) the report out of Munich offered has been squandered,” it said, condemning Pope Benedict’s “lack of candor.”

Benedict finished his letter observing that “quite soon, I shall find myself before the final judge of my life.”

“As I look back on my long life, I can have great reason for fear and trembling,” he wrote.

But he was nevertheless “of good cheer” as he prepared to “pass confidently through the dark door of death.” – with a report from Vatican News, AFP and CNA

© Copyright LiCAS.news. All rights reserved. Republication of this article without express permission from LiCAS.news is strictly prohibited. For republication rights, please contact us at: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Support LiCAS.news

We work tirelessly each day to tell the stories of those living on the fringe of society in Asia and how the Church in all its forms - be it lay, religious or priests - carries out its mission to support those in need, the neglected and the voiceless.
We need your help to continue our work each day. Make a difference and donate today.

Latest