The Prelature of Batanes and the Archdiocese of Jaro in Iloilo province have temporarily suspended the holding of religious gatherings and Holy Masses in public due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases.
“Effective today, June 11, I am hereby suspending the conduct of public Masses in Batanes until further notice,” said Bishop Danilo Ulep of Batanes.
The prelate made the announcement following the confirmation of a COVID-19 case in the town of Basco, the capital of the island province.
“Let us remain vigilant and safety-conscious by strictly observing all health and safety protocols,” said Bishop Basco over Radio Veritas 846.
The Archdiocese of Jaro in the central Philippines, meanwhile, said the suspension of the holding of public celebrations of the Holy Mass and other religious gatherings will start on June 13, Sunday.
“In as much as the Church needs to nurture the faithful with the Sacrament of the Eucharist, we are also deeply concerned about the increased number of COVID-19 positive (cases) in our city,” said Archbishop Jose Romeo Lazo of Jaro.
“Let us continue to pray for each other and work for the common good of all, and let us intensify our fervent prayer to God, as we also invoke the strong intercession of our Blessed Mother, Nuestra Señora dela Candelaria, to end the pandemic in our community,” said the prelate.
On Thursday, June 10, the Philippines recorded 7,485 more COVID-19 cases, the highest so far during the month, pushing the country’s cumulative total to over 1.293 million.
Of the country’s 1,293,687 confirmed coronavirus cases, 56,921 or 4.4 percent are active, based on the Department of Health’s latest bulletin.
The day’s positivity rate is at 12.8 percent, based from the testing results of 51,688 individuals who were screened for COVID-19 on Tuesday.
The day’s fresh cases is the highest since May 28 when 8,748 cases were announced.
The virus claimed 122 more lives, pushing the country’s death toll to 22,312. The case fatality rate is at 1.72 percent.