In a show of solidarity with the Church’s synodal process, Marian national shrines and minor basilicas across the Philippines will participate in a global prayer movement, particularly in preparation for the upcoming assembly in the Vatican.
On May 31, Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a total of 26 churches will lead simultaneous prayer activities to honor the Mother of the Church and support the synodal meeting, said a report on CBCP News.
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has entrusted the International Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, widely known as the Antipolo Cathedral, with spearheading the national-level celebration.
The event will include various activities such as processions, catechesis on synodality, recitation of the Holy Rosary, and the celebration of Mass.
This prayer initiative was prompted by a request from Pope Francis, who urged the Secretariat of the universal Synod to invite the global Church to dedicate a day of Marian prayer for the 16th Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops.
The aim is to seek the protection of Our Lady for the synodal proceedings.
The General Secretariat of the Synod suggested that the moment of prayer should be celebrated at a Marian shrine of particular national importance, or at several Marian shrines chosen for their representativeness, or in all the Marian shrines present in the territory.
It said the participation of the Philippines’ prominent Marian shrines and minor basilicas shows the Filipinos’ deep devotion to Mary “and their desire to seek her intercession and guidance throughout the synodal process”.
“It is a testament to the unwavering faith of the Philippine Church and our commitment to active engagement towards a more Synodal Church,” the Secretariat added.
Below is the full list of national shrines and minor basilicas in the Philippines that are participating in the Marian Moment of Prayer for the Synodal Process on May 31:
- Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Batangas City
- Manila Metropolitan Cathedral – Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Manila
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Charity, Agoo, La Union
- Minor Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Naga City
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of the Visitation of Piat, Piat, Cagayan
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral and Minor Basilica, Malolos City
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Manaoag, Manaoag, Pangasinan
- Minor Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Quezon City
- Minor Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of Orani, Orani, Bataan
- Minor Basilica of La Purisima Concepcion, Santa Maria, Bulacan
- International Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage – Antipolo Cathedral
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, La Naval de Manila, Quezon City
- National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Parañaque City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, Valenzuela City
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal National Shrine, Muntinlupa City
- National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, Parañaque City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Visitation, Gamu, Isabela
- National Shrine of La Virgen Divina Pastora, Gapan City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, Quezon City
- National Shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Regla, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Makati City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Candles – Jaro Cathedral, Iloilo City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows, Dolores, Quezon
- National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, Silang, Cavite
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned, Sta. Ana, Manila
- National Shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Inmaculada Concepcion de Salambao, Obando, Bulacan
Leave a Reply