A news reporter died after being shot multiple times in the southern Philippine region of Mindanao on Saturday, October 30.
Orlando Dinoy, a reporter for online outfit Newsline Philippines and anchor for Energy FM radio, was shot six times by a gunman who barged into his apartment in Bansalan town.
“One of the angles we are looking at is his work as a media man… but no one can give us a concrete lead so far,” said local police chief Major Peter Glenn Ipong.
Dinoy was the 21st journalist killed since President Rodrigo Duterte took power in 2016, said the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines.
National police chief General Guillermo Eleazar ordered a thorough investigation into the case, and vowed to protect the media from attacks.
In a report this month, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists listed the Philippines at seventh place in its Global Impunity Index, with 13 murders of journalists still unsolved.
The nation has been a mainstay in the annual index since it started in 2008.
Undersecretary Joel Sy Egco, executive director of the Presidential Task Force on Media, said the government condemns “in the strongest terms this heinous crime.”
“Even if the motive seems to be a personal matter, the task force will see to it that justice will be served to those responsible for Dinoy’s death,” said Egco in a statement.
He said investigators already have “strong leads as to the perpetrator” of the attack.
Edith Caduaya, president of the Mindanao Independent Press Council, said the victim was not a hard-hitting broadcaster or reporter and, as far as she knows, did not have any personal enemies.
In a statement to the task force, Caduaya said the victim had an altercation with another person prior to the attack. Dinoy was also reportedly being urged to run for vice mayor. – with a report from AFP