The Prelature of Batanes in the northern Philippines appealed for help following the devastation brought about by typhoon “Kiko” (international name: Chanthu) last week.
“I am humbly appealing for assistance in behalf of our people,” read a statement issued by Bishop Danilo Ulep of Batanes on Thursday, September 16.
“With your support, we know that we can get back on our feet and move on with our life after this yet another trial,” said the prelate.
He said that several houses, especially those made of light materials, “were literally blown away” by the strong winds.
The parish convent on the island of Ivana and the St. Dominic College, the only Catholic educational institution in Batanes, were also destroyed.
“Despite this calamity, we remain undaunted,” said Bishop Ulep.
“We are certain that we can recover from this disaster. With your support, we know that we can get back on our feet and move on with our life after this yet another trial,” he added.
Typhoon Kiko caused considerable damage when it entered the country on September 7, intensifying Typhoon Jolina (Conson).
The provincial government of Batanes has earlier declared a state of calamity following the “massive destruction” brought by the typhoon.
Social media posts by netizens showed extensive damage to government buildings, schools, and homes.
The typhoon also uprooted old trees with some roads still blocked by debris. In some areas, houses were completely destroyed.